I made more doughnuts today using two vegan recipes. The outcome of one recipe was underwhelming, but the other was… godly. It was a variation of the tried and true baked cinnamon roll doughnut recipe I blogged about earlier, and are without question the best ringed creations I have made to date. Superior to the non-vegan version.
In a luck of the draw, the loaf of garlic basil bread that I improvised turned out perfect and fluffy. The pasta turned out swell too. I’ve included the recipes here. The doughnut recipe requires a doughnut pan, as the batter is too runny to hold its shape without assistance.
Baked Vegan Cinnamon Roll Maple Doughnuts Recipe
Stage One: The Cinnamon Topping
- 2 Tbsp Butter (Earth Balance Spread)
- 5 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Milk (Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch (aka. Corn Flour)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and the molasses to make brown sugar.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the sugar and all the other ingredients. Wait for it to bubble.
- Once it bubbles, take it off the heat. Pour a teaspoon or two in the bottom of each doughnut mould.
Stage Two: The Doughnut Batter
- 1½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Milk (Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- ¼ Cup Butter (Earth Balance Spread)
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg
- Melt the butter. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter with the apple sauce and milk.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the contents of the small (wet ingredients) bowl into the larger (dry ingredients) bowl. Fold until just combined – you don’t want to overdo it.
- Pour the batter into the doughnut moulds.
- Bake at 350F. The doughnuts are ready when you push down on them and they inflate back to their old shape. Around 10-15 minutes.
- Pull out the doughnuts and cool.
Stage Three: The Maple Frosting
- 2 Cup Icing Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Butter (Earth Balance Spread)
- ⅔ Cup Cream Cheese (Tofutti)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Mix the ingredients until uniform.
- I use wax paper to make a piping bag, then pipe it on top of the doughnuts.
Gluten-Free Version: Substitute the flour for all-purpose gluten-free flour. Also add 1 tsp of xantham gum to the dry mixture from stage two. I found that these needed to be left in the oven a few minutes longer as well.
Garlic Basil Bread (With Bread Machine)
- 3 Cup All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 2½ Tsp Yeast
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- Place ingredients in bread machine.
- Set on the white bread mode and go.
Eggless Pasta (With Pasta Maker)
- ⅔ Cup Semolina Flour
- ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 3+ Tbsp Water
- Mix the flours.
- Add the oil. Add water and knead until the pasta holds together. Split into two or three pieces and pass through the pasta maker.