Same recipe, two different products depending on what pan you use! If you have a miniature muffin pan, you can make tiny strawberry shortcakes. If you have a doughnut pan, you can make brown butter cinnamon sugar doughnuts. Both options are vegan.
- 6 Tbsp Vegan Butter (eg. Earth Balance)
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Set the oven to 350 F.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy.
- Add the apple sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, as well as the milk. Stir until well combined but don’t over mix.
- Pour in miniature muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
Brown Butter Cinnamon Sugar Crust
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Butter That Can Brown (eg. Earth Balance)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir. Stir constantly as it browns.
- Pour the butter in a second bowl.
- When the baked muffins are cool enough to handle, dunk the tops in the melted butter and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar by the spoon-full. Sprinkling the cinnamon sugar as opposed to rolling it in the sugar mix prevents the melted butter from making moist clumps with the sugar.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (Optional)
- 6 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- Mix all of the ingredients except the strawberries in a bowl until smooth.
- Pipe onto muffins and top with a sliced strawberry.
You can use this batter to make baked doughnuts as well. This is a veganized version of a recipe I spotted on Kevin & Amanda. They said their recipe could make 18-20 miniature muffins, but it was closer to double that. So I halved the recipe, applied a few substitutions, and increased the baking powder usage. The end result was tasty.
I like this recipe, I don’t know whether I’d consider it a favourite. This works just as well without the buttercream frosting.