Vegan Soft Vanilla Butter Cookies (Original)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter (eg. Earth Balance)
- 1/3 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Almond/Soy/Rice Milk
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in vanilla.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine. Add milk if too dry.
- Make small balls of dough and gently pressing them down on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Cream Cheese (eg. Tofutti)
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter (eg. Earth Balance)
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- Mix the ingredients. If it’s too runny, add icing sugar. If it’s too rigid, add cream cheese/butter. I always play this one out by eye.
- I dipped the cookie into the mixture then topped off with sprinkles.
I sought to replicate these incredibly soft cookies a coworker obtained. This ended up being quite close to the mark.
I screwed it up and mixed all of the ingredients in one go. Working with it was like working with pastry dough and I added milk to help me through. Still, the end product was very soft and delicious. I wonder if not beating the sugar and butters first was actually a boon. The cookies themselves are without flavour – it’s the frosting that makes them what they are. As an aside – I made sure that the frosting wouldn’t harden by making sure there wasn’t too much icing sugar.
This accidental find is now one of my favourite cookie recipes.