The bread recipe is irrelevant, the one listed below is one I’ve been working with. Pick one that works for you.
- 3 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1¼ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 2½ Tsp Yeast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Throw all the ingredients in a bread machine and put it on the ‘dough’ cycle.
- If you don’t have a bread machine, here’s instructions on how to do it by hand. Stop at the point where it asks you to put it in the oven for a second rise.
- Roll out the bread dough in a large rectangle.
- Let rise for an hour. You can skip this step but the bread will be more dense.
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 Apples
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- While the bread machine is working or the bread is rising, peel and dice the apples. Make small cubes.
- Place the apples and all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan on the stove top.
- Set to medium heat and cook until you don’t hear a crunching sound when piercing the apples with a fork.
Putting It Together
- Set the oven to 350 F.
- Use a knife to cut strips along the long side of the rectangle. You want to go about a third of the way towards the center (see pictures.)
- Place the prepared apple pie filling in the center that hasn’t been cut up. There’s going to be a melted butter mixture remaining in the sauce pan, take care to not pour it in with the filling.
- Next fold in the strips to braid the bread. Start by folding in both ends. Then fold in each strip, alternating sides.
- Finish off by brushing the outside of the braided bread with the melted butter mixture.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.